N4 Toll Route Update
Poor visibility, mainly due to heavy mist during early morning hours or at night, causes dangerous driving conditions. Road users are reminded to switch head lights on, increase following distance and reduce travelling speed during adverse weather conditions.
- Reduce speed and obey speed limits
- Switch headlights on
- Keep following distance
- Remain patient and considerate
- Attempt to pass the vehicle in front of you when visibility is poor
- Stop on the side of the road
UPGRADING, REHABILITATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK
Quality road infrastructure is an asset which benefits the economy, stimulates growth and development and provides a safe link between people and places. A road needs ongoing maintenance and improvement to ensure that it continues to add value.
As the concessionaire of the N4 Toll Route between Tshwane and Maputo (Mozambique), TRAC is committed to providing a road of high standards. This requires regular road and maintenance works which may, at times, inconvenience road users.
In the interest of road safety and hassle-free usage of the N4 Toll Route, please take note of the following:
High traffic volumes at peak times may influence the duration of delays:
Late afternoons on weekdays: 15:00 – 20:00
Friday afternoons: 15:00 – 20:00
Sunday afternoons: 14:00 – 17:00
Days preceding public/school holidays
Monday to Friday: 05:45 – 09:00
15:00 – 20:00
Belfast to Machadodorp
• The major upgrade and rehabilitation project between Belfast and Machadodorp is underway;
• The existing road to Machado R541 has been closed, the R36 can still be used for access to and from Machadodorp; • Blasting has commenced on the project. The next blast has been scheduled for Spetember 2019, please refer to notice boards for the date of the blast. During blasting the road will be closed for approximately 15 min;
Montrose to Alkmaar (N4-7X km 23.0 to km 33.0)
• Rehabilitation of the existing road has commenced. The scheduled completion date is June 2020;
• Stop/Go’s and lane closures will be in place until June 2020;
Karino (N4-7 Km 62.950 to km 66.250)
• The current interchange will be upgraded to a grade-separated interchange;
• Stop/Go’s and lane closures will be in place during the project;
Crocodile river to Magnesite mine intersection (N4-8X Km 0 to km 15.5)
- The existing road will be upgraded to a undivided four-lane carriageway.
- The construction works are scheduled to start in September 2019 and will be completed 30 June 2021.
- The traffic will be accommodated by two-way traffic accommodation and STOP/GO control.
- Construction and repair work completed;
- Construction of the Tchumene Interchange in progress. Speed restrictions are in place;
- Avenida das Industrias intersection traffic lights removed, and a four-way stop has been implemented
- Installation of guardrails in progress at various locations along the section;
- The major upgrade and rehabilitation project of these sections are almost complete;
• Please obey temporary speed limits and restrictions;
• Surfacing access to the Maputo Harbor in progress, night work only;
- Installation of median barrier to start soon
Remember – rather lose a minute in your life, than your life in a minute!
Report accidents, incidents and/or dangerous conditions along the N4 Toll Route to TRAC’s 24-hour Helpdesk.
RSA: 0800 87 22 64 / +27 82 881 4444
Mozambique: +258 84 34 34 34 6
Follow us on Twitter: @TRACN4route